Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Style Theory - The look for overcast summer days

For the longest I can remember I have always been a fan of the shirt and jean or jean and jacket look. The former popularised, for me, by Damon Wayans in the film 'Mo Money'. That look goes all the way back to 1992, my first year in high school. I remember when we'd have civvies I would always try to copy the look. Even going as far as 'stealing' a tie from my father's wardrobe to complement the jean and shirt. I've come a long way since then and I now strive to have a style and look of my own albeit influenced by many personalities.

This is the first in a series of summer looks, both in theory and in practice, that I am going to be showcasing to all my readers, especially my thirty-something friends. The look in practice will always come after the look in theory. Just to create a dramatic effect with suspense.

First of, base your outfit with a black and white gingham check shirt.




Next, temper the dominant appearance of the shirt with a pair of blue jeans.




At the soles of your feet a white pair of sneakers, that complement your outfit. In this theoretical case, Converse All Star Chuck Taylor's.




A black blazer or sport coat will coordinate well with the shirt and bring that balance between all the pieces. So go with it, it is your safest bet.




To break the the monotony of the solid blazer make sure to wear a pocket square with a little colour. Ditch the conventional white one.

Tomorrow, if the weather stays gloomy and 'chilly' as it is, I will be bringing you the practical side of this very look. Stay tuned.

PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: