Friday, January 29, 2010

Gone to soon

I was so excited this morning waking up because I was visiting two new tailoring businesses. I had a few garments, dress pants in fact, that I was going to split between the two tailors. My visit to Soli Omar was uneventful. I met, whom I assume, to be the manager or owner and gave him the pants and he took my measurements. Said my stuff would be ready by Monday afternoon.

After that, I went about looking for NEW York tailors in Foundry Lane. I walked up to where I thought I saw it, where it used to be and found the whole place looking different. I went to a men's clothing store and asked the sales man where NY tailors is and he gave me puzzled and confused look. "New York tailors closed down a long time ago", he told me. "Maybe two years ago, when the owner Mr. Daya died." At this point I was incredulous. It just didn't make sense to me. Before even blessing me with his much vaunted tailoring skills the man passed away. The story I heard was that after Mr. Daya died due to a lot of mismanagement the store closed down six months later. Now not only did a fraction of tailoring history die but the business and its legacy died along with it.


Truly the last in an unbroken line of tailors.

PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: