Monday, February 15, 2010

What's the word, Johannesburg

The City of Gold really lives up to its moniker. It's truly a gold mine. Some of the things I unearthed there left me incredulous. Even my cousin couldn't believe it when I told him that the suit featured here today cost me a mere R250. Given it needs some work. Downtown Joburg is a smorgasbord of clothing, fabrics, household goods and anything you can think of, at very low prices. So, today...I bring you the grey suit from the streets of Johannesburg.

Straight off the bat one can see that the suit is cheaply made. The uneven shoulders and varying cuffs on the jacket sleeves. The pants as well need some work. They are too long, thus explaining those nasty breaks from the top of the thigh all the way to my ankles. It's nothing, however, a little tailoring can't fix. What I do love though is that the pants are a perfect fit around the waist. Thus making the belt-less look a viable option.


The uneven shoulders are a glaring flaw from this angle. If you're worried that I seem to be stuck in the 90s then don't. The jacket has got double vents.


If the jacket can be pinched a little at the waist then the 'bulge' at the abdomen or lower button will be significantly reduced. That's the rule when it comes to fitted jackets, everything has to hug the body.


I love the subtle hints of burgundy which means those cap toes of mine will be put to good use again.


Flaws, flaws, flaws and more flaws. The uneven seam on the inside of the sleeve just. Another giveaway is the fact that the cuff does not separate nor does it overlap. However I plan to use this as an exercise to test my tailor. I will request that he opens the sleeve so that it overlaps and, not only that but, open those button holes so that they become working cuffs. Shouldn't be an expensive exercise, I hope.


Since the fabric is a little heavy I think I'll leave this suit for Autumn and Winter. Should come in handy then.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

4 comments:

Dennis Cahlo said...

I can't wait to see how this one works out. Those pants will need quite a slimming.

I love the idea of making the sleeve's buttons functional!! Why haven't I thought of that???

Excellent post, M. Keep up the great work.

Best,
Dennis Cahlo

MN SL&E said...

Wow, the great Mr Cahlo. I think you're right about the pants, although, I am a bit thick on the thighs, all those workouts.

Dennis Cahlo said...

I have the same problem and am bottom heavy. A good tailor can slim them down without making your legs look like sausages.

Please let me know as soon as you have the results!!! I'm really excited to see how it works out.

Best,
Dennis

MN SL&E said...

Will do, my good man.

Take care,
Mxolisi