Friday, March 19, 2010

I do this for my culture, to let 'em know...

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Jay-Z's transformation from rapper to savvy businessman is nothing short of remarkable. The man has truly made significant strides. One thing you can never take away from him is his affinity to hip hop. As a musician the man has established his own style and one thing I thought he would stop doing is wearing hip hop clothing. He owns a clothing line inspired by hip hop culture, so there is no way he would stop wearing the clothes. But, I think a major reason why he will never stop adorning himself in hip hop clothes is the fact that he came up within the culture. The culture made him and therefore by maintaining the dress code he is maintaining the links he has to the music and the culture.

It comes as no surprise that at a recent gathering to mark the breaking of the ground for the new arena for the New Jersey Nets in Brooklyn, New York, he came to the gathering dressed to the nines. See for yourself...


What also didn't surprise me, and had me chuckling a little bit, was this...


Three piece suit, checkered contrast collar shirt, crisp white pocket square and a construction hat, for safety...cocked to the side. How much more proof do we need that this man will forever be hip hop first. I just couldn't overlook the construction hat cocked to the side, reminded me of my days with fitted caps.


Now that's more like it. What's a rapper without a screw face.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

That's fantastic. Great catch, man.