Friday, March 12, 2010

Style Theory: My love of gingham...

is unparalleled. I'm just in love with the fabric and design. I'd like to say that my love started way back in primary school when I learned to play chess but that's not so. Gingham check is quite a unique and somewhat fun pattern to sartorially play with. Not much, seemingly, goes into the gingham check. It's just normal blocks of two colours and this is what appeals to me. It's simplicity. Usually made from cotton or a blend of cotton and synthetics, gingham has been in existence since the 17th century. It's unbelievable how gingham is used for many household products and its use for clothing gets a mention as a last option.



I would now like to divert your attention to the picture above. I have mentioned this before, that I am given to excess. Please believe it, I wouldn't mind having all these shirts. I would find different uses for them, styles and settings. One combination I like is pairing a gingham shirt with a knit tie. Two diferent fabrics that meld effortlessly and beautifully. The shirts above are by Alexander West, an online shirt making company, which really takes time and effort in producing quality shirts. Right now I won't lie I am very much tempted to get maybe two more, in either two shades of pink and bright blue. But if I could I would get the whole gang. Frivolous...I know.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

1 comment:

foolio_iglesias said...

Brother,if you can afford it,I say make it happen.I have more shirts than any other clothing item in my wardrobe,rivaling even my tie collection.I've also inadvertently ruined a few shirts while cleaning them,so I don't mind have shirts in abundance.....