Monday, April 19, 2010

Tweed = Fabric, Herringbone = Pattern

If there is a fabric that has been as confusing to me as ever it's got to be tweed. I have always thought that tweed is anything and everything in a somewhat heavy and checkered fabric. Over time I have been exposed to different fabrics, patterns and, reading material and have been highly enlightened but flummoxed at the same time. To the point of frustration.


This is a jacket I bought at a thrift shop in Joburg for R20. Why do I say it is tweed..? Well....it is made from a woven woolen fabric and it is in the most common pattern, herringbone. Tweed fabric can be particularly difficult to categorise simply because it is available in so many different forms. If you're confused as much as I was, I will add to your confusion with the fact that, tweed also comes in silk, although more prevalent in high end pieces of clothing.


This pattern is herringbone. The name is derived from the bone structure of the herring fish with what looks like stacked V's. The V's can either be of the same colour, or alternating colours depending on the desired look. Because the process of creating a herringbone pattern creates a rather thick piece of fabric, this style is traditionally used in outerwear and suit coats.


I can unequivocally say that I have learnt something about tweed and I hope you have as well. As stated above, this jacket cost me a mere R20. It's still in good condition even though it needs some work. I need to add some buttons and since there aren't any on the cuffs as well I will go for the working cuffs before buttons are added. Since the pattern is non-descript from afar I am going to mix this pattern with a Prince of Wales check.

PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: