Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A time and place for everything

I have been, for a while too, witnessing how a cravat and its matching waistcoat have been sartorially misplaced in terms of their dress code. I shudder to think of the day I see a gentleman wear the combination to a job interview. In my book he'd get 10 points for effort, I mean he came to an interview presentably dressed, however there is a time and place for all things. I say a cravat is misplaced because of its pervasive and conspicuous presence at South African award shows. You would think that certain gentlemen just came from a wedding reception and headed straight to the show. Gents, please, a cravat and matching waistcoat at any place other than a wedding, in my opinion, is highly misplaced.


Personally and aesthetically a cravat isn't for me. I don't think I could be able to pull it off. The rules as to how and when to wear one are so intricate that I wouldn't have the patience to go through the trouble of wearing one.

 
Pick the right occasion to wear your cravat. Formal events such as balls or weddings are the ideal time to try a cravat. Wear these with a suit and shirt with a wide, stiff collar. Colour match your cravat to other accessories or outfits. At weddings, the groomsmen's cravats can coordinate with bridesmaids' dresses or the color theme of the wedding. Cravats also seem to be some type of uniform for certain occasions therefore some uniformity in the way it is worn is also important. I have seen other accessories such as a pin to tie down a cravat as well as different ways of tying a cravat. Therefore presentation of a cravat has endless stylish possibilities. As for me, I'd rather just opt for no cravat at all. Just maintaining a safe distance.

3 comments:

Chidi said...

WHERE CAN I GET A PATTERNED CRAVAT AND VEST LIKE THIS CREAM ONE...

Mens Formal said...

The red cravat is a good look with the grey vest

Mens linen shirts said...

You will certainly see a noticeable increase in your sales online just after you buy facebook fans from www.fanbullet.com as they sell genuine fans and likes. They provide you the prospect customers whose chances of buying your products are very high.