Monday, May 10, 2010

The R250 grey suit, in all its splendid glory



Some people have been waiting for this post for the longest time, including myself. It's been a long time coming. You will remember the grey suit I bought in Johannesburg sometime in February and then proceeded to write and show it in all it's flawed glory. Well earlier last week I finally picked it up from Soli Omar Tailors and they had finally done the work I needed on it. All at the cost of R200/ 25$ / 19 euros. The work I needed done:


- Jacket to be taken in at the sides.
- Sleeves to be shortened.
- Pants waist to be tightened.
- Turn ups/ cuffs on the pants.
- Pants length shortened.



I decided to complement the suit with a navy and brown window pane check shirt by Ralph Lauren R29, a solid navy tie R70, a white pocket square (set of 3 R25 Soli Omar), R15 tie bar (thrift shop).


What couldn't be done at the tailors though was the opening of the sleeves to make them workng cuffs. I was referred to an arcade off Commercial street, where Salim, a Pakistani was able to do the job. I was pleased when I showed him the jacket and what I needed done and he replied with a sense of assurance. Based on the work that was done I ma going to be taking more of my jackets and suit jackets to have working cuffs inserted. I chose to have the boutonniere and cuff button holes stitched in navy blue.


The shoes are a pair of tan cap toes I bought from Woolworths last month on sale for R274/ 26 Euros/ 36$. I decided to take them to my cobbler and had them dyed in a deep chocolate brown.


The fabric of this suit is heavy especially on the inside. I'm just glad I finally got it to work and work it. For me this is the perfect suit to wear to an interview. Men's style is also about experimenting and testing various things. Out of this test I was able to have my suit fixed to a proper fit and also the different stitching on the button holes and lapel. Things I wouldn't of known if I wasn't into dressing properly.

PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

4 comments:

KJtheGreat said...

dope!

Mxolisi Ngonelo said...

KJ, aren't you with H1hger anymore..?

Glen Antoine Palmer said...

This is a really clean look. Very polished.

Cheap Men Suits said...

That grey suit is really a statement. Now, I really want not just a collection of white and black suits.