After their final group game against Bafana Bafana, South Africa coach, Carlos Alberto Parreira moved and gestured to shake hands with French coach Raymond Domenech. His well meaning gesture was rebuffed by Domenech, accompanied by tugging and finger wagging. Not a good display from a head coach and lends much credence to the saying that 'the fish rots from the head down'. No wonder the whole French campaign was a disaster.
The look on the gentleman behind them, in spectacles, is awash in bemusement. This happened on live TV and when I saw it, the actions spoke louder than words. Maybe coaches should be mic'd up like their counterparts in the NBA so we can hear the actual dialogue.
* Two losses and a draw in the first round.
* Equaling exactly 1 point.
* A senior, but mercurial, player swearing at the coach.
* Players marginalising another player because of jealousy and envy. Nothing else.
* Players mutiny of a scheduled training session.
This and more is what led to the above illustrated moment. In my opinion.
Be humble in victory also.
PG: Man to man, generation to generation.