Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Lavender Shirt

Lately I've been thinking about this particular shade of shirt. I've just been engulfed in thought about it. I do have one, although very faded and worn out. I don't even consider it a part of my regular shirt rotation because it really serves me none. However I would like to draw your attention to this particular colour. It's versatility. I'm inclined to surmise that there was a time when men eschewed and dismissed this colour as feminine. Just like pink.

I've been reading a few articles, forums, opinion pieces, etc, on lavender shirst and most of them almost unanimously agree that it should never be worn with a purple tie. I don't know about that, because there are some combinations of lavender and purple that work. Avoiding however any solid shade in both the tie and shirt. Therefore a lavender shirt in gingham or window pane check will be combined with a purple pin dot tie. Think about it for a second, it actually goes.


As you can see the lavender shirt is not only relegated to solid colours but patterns exist that accommodate all kinds of sartorial tastes and preferences. The light candy stripe shirt above reflects a practical flirtation with a dark grey. A flirtation that would lead to a perfect marriage. A tie in the same shade will only mute the shirt and create a bland monochomatic look. Lavender begs for bold complements. The combination palette runs the gamut from navys, greys and even black.


The time is now to start exploring bright colours. Spring mandates it.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

3 comments:

Mr. Goodwill Hunting said...

I actually have about four shirts in this shade of purple. It can go with so much. I particularly enjoy it with a navy blue or black tie & suit.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting
http://g-w-hunting.blogspot.com

Jed said...

The shirt I get the most compliments on is definitely my lavender gingham. It's really quite versatile and definitely commands attention, as many seem to shy away from this shade.

Andrew Smith said...

is the last photo is the stripe old cheap tee shirts on the first photo? how did you put a horizontal purple line on that?