Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mohair Taking A Knock


It's funny how and why I came to writing this post. Especially on a subject such as Mohair. While 'watching' the midday news on Thursday afternoon, I put watching in inverted commas because even though the tv was on, I was engrossed in an old edition of British Esquire, I happened to hear the news reader report on mohair sales in South Africa. At hearing mohair, without looking up I concluded in my mind that this was a product for hair growth and that its sales had been impressive in recent months. I could immediately see myself with a full head of hair, sooner rather than later, as opposed to the receding hairline I have been in denial about. A product that works so much that consumers were buying it in droves.


My glee was quickly turned to inner disappointment because the report was about the fabric, mohair. Not Mo Hair. Mohair, a silk like fabric or yarn made from the hair of the Angora goat has seen a dip in sales, especially after South Africa's winter season. Factors in play affecting sales of mohair are; a continuing strong South African currency against the U.S. dollar and China. Simply China. For the longest time, the South African textile industry has decried the importing of cheaper fabrics from China. This import exercise does a lot in devaluing the textile industry, its contribution to the Gross Domestic Product, it affects the labour market and the overall livelihood of textile workers.


And here I was thinking that a stronger South African currency means that import goods and commodities will be cheaper however this process affects and impacts the local economy.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was curious about mohair because I saw that there are now 'skins' used for climbing up snow covered mountains on skis that are now claiming to use mohair for the skins. Previously have been made of seal fur and synthetic.