Monday, October 18, 2010

Placket Front Serendipity


When I was in high school I had this obsession with knowing peoples' names. It didn't sit well with me saying 'hey' or any other word to get someone's attention. More often than not saying 'hey' didn't get you their attention. However knowing their name got you more attention than anticipated. This is something that has carried through to my adult life. I must know a person's name. It comes as no suprise that when I purchased this sweater a few months ago, preparing for Durban's mild winter, I didn't know its name and that was a dilemma.


I didn't know what to call it and after toying with ideas of possible names I settled on a shawl collar of a different kind. I didn't get to wear it much, however I was saved the embarrassment of not knowing it's name. Especially in the event that someone asked me. It so happened, serendipitously, last week while browsing some or other style magazine I came to know its name.

Placket Front Sweater by Hang Ten

The instant I came across its name I was relieved, months of uncertainty had now come to an end. And while sitting there reading I had a eureka moment because I discovered that it's name is taken from the basic construction and placement of buttons on a shirt's front and cuff. Needless to say that I have been very confident when handling and talking about it now.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: