Thursday, November 18, 2010

Youthful Ignorance: The Receding Hairline


Youthful ignorance. This series is going to do its best to expose the folly of my twenties which culminated in a lot of ignorance. I digress. Something I couldn't comprehend or fathom in, particularly, my early twenties was a receding hairline or premature balding. Especially if it happened to someone in their twenties or even younger. Needless to say, I teased and made fun of gentlemen who experienced this process. I was ignorant, not knowing that a receding hairline is caused by a number of reasons, hereditary, genetic, shaving one's hair too much, etc.


I know better now. Especially after witnessing many gentlemen who wear a receding hairline with pride. And in the process appear stylish and confident. I can't say the same for myself though. When my hair grows out and the barber shop is out of reach, I have to grin and bear the fact that I'm putting together a presentable outfit however my hair is not presentable. And I go through this often. I've conversed with other bloggers regarding this process and most of them have embraced it as a new look and also a welcome change. I, have not reached that stage yet. I still wish for a full head of hair. With hair I'd be able to exepriment with different looks. Needless to say my receding hairline has precluded me from any kind of experiments involving hair.


Maybe I am far from embracing my redecing hairline. Especially when I look at my friends and realise that none of them are losing hair. Even worse, my father doesn't have a receding hairline. Therefore I'm forced to conclude that this could be the result of cutting my hair too much or my eating habits I don't know. I feel my best when I am bald and my beard has been neatly trimmed. However this is a time consuming process in itself. Maybe if I learnt how to cut and shave my own hair, then I wouldn't be so reluctant to do it at times. In time I know I'll learn to appreciate and also impart some knowledge about a receding hairline. However right now I am still grappling with the issue. Experience has taught me that I'm fortunate not to have lived during the time of Elisha the prophet. However I can picture some young ignorant boys unwittingly teasing me saying, " Sir, is your hairline receding..? Or is it visiting the top of your head for a little party..?"


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

7 comments:

David said...

Accepting the aging process is one of the toughest things we all must deal with at some point. I'm no expert but I do know there are probably a couple of good options to help you regain some of that lost area. I wouldn't worry about the young, they'll have their own problems to contend with soon enough. All the best to you.

Lorenz said...

oh well, I'm "suffering" from the same problem - but what I don't have on my head, I have on my back. Just kidding, we gotta live with it and I actually don't mind at all - you can pull off totally different looks with it!

lee-anne said...

Mr Ngonelo. Are u still obsessed with the line what you lack on top Gods given way more than enough. That nose. He cnt give you everything. Gud blog

Glen Antoine Palmer said...

Been there. Done that. Although I didn't really mind, I just took a razor to the dome and was done with it. Truthfully, I think you would wear a bald head well. With your full beard and strong jawline, I think the look would be masculine and authoritative. I understand the apprehension though, but I think you would look great either way.

The Happy Black Man said...

I've grappled with the same issue. I am 22 and my hairline looks like a sickle when I leave it out. I have embraced the baed head. I keep a beard and a gleaming head, however I do miss getting a haircut sometimes.

Receding hairline said...

There are a variety of products on the market, but I doubt that any of them can deliver quite as promised results, and many of them are an absolute waste of money. You'd have to figure out for yourself if the benefit is worth the cost.

verleve said...

For a revolutionary product that resolves hairline and hair growth problems,try Verleve hair food contact verleveenterprise@yahoo.com for more info. It really works.