Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Last Three Pairs You Need For Summer

This should've been done a week ago but the festive season has a way of getting in the way of tasks that have to be completed, especially when enjoying the December holidays for the first time since 2002. I digress though. To the last three essential shoes a man needs for summer.
Tasseled loafers, without question, are my all time favourite shoes. This goes all the way back to my childhood and watching my father wear them, with both his corporate and casual attire. The fine line between casual and formal attire can be best straddled in these shoes. The Tassels, which are a distinctive feature, give the shoes stylish character that can't be replicated, in my opinion, by ordinary loafers without tassels.


Sneakers with a dash of colour are always an enhancement to a dull or neutral outfit. White is so ubiquitous in summer that I can't think of a better way to break the monotony than with colourful sneakers. Of the manly kind of course. Something bold, loud, colourful and dashing. And I can't think of a better shoe, a staple in South Africa for years, Superga.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A few months ago, during the Northen Hemisphere summer, GQ magazine did an online spread on how to upgrade your summer wardrobe. Amongst the hats, shades and food menu they presented, I was very much intrigued by the summer lace-up they were plugging, by Common Projects. I have never been a fan of wearing lace-up shoes without socks, but after one look at the styling and design of the Common Project shoes I could already see myself in a pair. And this time I wouldn't eschew the opportunity to go sockless in a pair of lace-up shoes and chinos.


Now, I am advocating this shoe for summer. It is simply beautiful. The perforations are also important for breathability as well as aesthetic. What I love the most about this Common Projects lace-up are the various shades that they come in. My favourites; cream white/ ivory, grey and any shade of brown.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

1 comment:

David said...

I definitely agree with the tassel loafer, it has become one of my most versatile shoes, easily dressed up or down.

Also, it's probably an American prep thing, but if it's not winter, I always wear my lace-ups without socks, or with the super low cut socks that don't show.