Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Willy White Shoes

At this point the only white shoes I recommend for summer are white sneakers. It's taken me a while to appreciate white shoes of the smart casual kind. White sneakers, however, have been a favourite of mine ever since Nike Air Force 1's. I've outgrown AF1's though, because at some point summer calls for footwear a little slimmer. Sleeker. These design specifications can be found in Tiger Onitsuka's white canvas sneakers and the new all white V45 model by New Balance.




I came across this gem at Meltz about two weeks ago, going for an unbelievable R199. With the current 50% sale, I imagine them going for half the original amount. I mean really, what's not to love about it besides the price? A canvas upper with a rubber sole, it's simplistic design begs for an even simpler outfit. How about a light blue cotton or chambray shirt and khaki chinos.


I've always been a fan of New Balance. From my very first pair of 801's in 1998 inspired by Stephon Marbury and Slam Magazine, I have always admired them. There has been a white sneaker released before, sometime in 2000/1, but the V45 is a stylish enhancement to its predecessor. From top to bottom this is about as stylish as sneakers can get. This is way better than anything ever released by fashion houses. I have read somewhere of a white party at the end of the year, the V45 would be a wiser choice to don as oppsoed to those popular white rubber soled loafers.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

1 comment:

David said...

I have a pair of white Onitsuka tigers with slight red and blue detailing. I mostly use them for tennis but every now and then I'll put them under some khakis and a polo.

They're great for the summer months and when you're travelling to a place where you will be doing a lot of walking.