Monday, January 17, 2011

Suits I Bought When I Thought I Knew Something, But Knew Nothing About Style

In 2011 my wife and I have resolved to do things differently, especially when it comes to involving third parties in our marriage. Sartorially, I finally resolved to test whether a suit can be tailored and altered to my personal preferences. And there was no better way to commence on this project than with this grey, pin-striped, 3-button suit. I needed the sleeves reduced, the sides taken in and, most importantly I needed to get rid of the third party.


In late 2005 I purchased the pants at EasyWear, for a mere R120. For some reason the pants and jacket were sold separately. I think I can safely say that at the time I purchased the pants, the jacket was not in stock. Towards the end of 2005, upon visiting EasyWear, I came across a pinstriped jacket that looked similar to the pants I had at home. Knowing that product moves slowly at this store I decided to give the jacket a pass. It was only in February 2006, after receiving an invitation to a wedding, that I intensely mulled what to wear. Vuyani Ngalwana happened to be on the cover of Financial Mail, on the cover he was wearing a blue shirt with a grey pinstriped jacket. This was my awakening. I decided on wearing the same combination to the wedding, I had to find the jacket though. Visiting EasyWear on the morning of the wedding, and as experience would prove me right, I found the exact jacket still hanging on the rails. It was going for an absurdly low R180, and I bought it without hesitation. Like I said in the title, I knew very little about style back then. I wore the suit, with a blue shirt, sans a tie and black loafers. The single vent was sown shut and nothing occurred to me to open it. I'm not even going to talk about the breast pocket. I looked...ok. Fast forward to 2011, and these are changes the suit has undergone.


At the tailors I had the lapel pressed to eliminate the 3-button stance and have it only as a two button. Nothing can be done about the top button hole missing a button. It remains there, uncovered, and is worn in a stylish and nonchalant manner.


I had the sides slightly taken in. This image reinforces the fact that this jacket was meant to be 2-button.


I have underestimated this shoe for a long time. Much like the suit. I decided to give my Pringle penny loafers a good polish since I have never worn this suit with any other shoe but loafers. And after putting them on with these fun socks, I felt that the transformation was complete. Thinking about the suit's fabric, I am reminded of when I wore it for the first time. It was in February, which is the hottest month in Durban. Thinking back to 2006, I don't remember ever breaking a sweat in it. And when I wore it again recently, with temperatures in the late twenties, I still didn't break a sweat. Because there is no labeling inside the jacket I surmise that it could be a poly-viscose blend.

As always all the tailoring and adjustments were done by Soli Omar Tailors. Next week I will be bringing you part 2 under the same title.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

2 comments:

David said...

That suit looks really good, I like that you made it into a 3/2 roll and had the pants cuffed. That's the type of suit that is very versatile as well. Also, not sure if you meant it or not, but wearing the shirt collar turned up above the suit jacket comes from the Japanese in an attempt to look non-chalant. Looking forward to the next post.

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and receive money from every click on your shortened links.