Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Big Shoes To Fill, And Big Pants


So, part of the process of going back home is the fact that you will always find things that have a direct reference to your past, your upbringing, memories, etc. You know, life's vagaries. It has been no different with me, especially after serendipitously finding a photo album my mom has been looking for, for a while. So, I came across this picture of Mfingwane; a great-grandfather from my maternal side who, according to my mother, was a sharp dresser. She even intimated to me about another picture she misplaced of Mfingwane and his wife going to the horse race track, and how they were well styled and dressed. This particular picture was taken in 1968, and after gleaning it for a while, I couldn't help but exclaim at his wearing a pocket square. Much in the same way, these days, I also stop, stare and appreciate whenever I witness a senior citizen well dressed in seemingly an unconscious and oblivious way.

I, therefore, have big shoes to fill. No doubt. If my great-grandfather could dress well with such effortless ease and aplomb, then I'm sure there is way more hope for me. From man to man, generation to generation, style definitely runs in my family.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: