Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Heirlooms


Visiting my parents now and then has sometimes left me wistful because I sometimes reflect on the past. Particularly my childhood. Some aspects of my childhood I absolutely cherish and will always remember with fondness. Some aspects, I regret and wish I could turm back the hands of time in order to correct them. However part of growing up and moving on is learning from such experiences and then teaching my children about them. One of the aspects I regret is definitely items of various kinds I received from my father. Subsequently I didn't take care of them, and today I wish I still had them. Which leads me to this post; on what I consider to be Ngonelo family heirlooms.


The above two images are bags in my father's arsenal of luggage. I have been interested in this set consisting of an overnight bag and a satchel for years now. And with good reason. They are made of brown leather; the strong, sturdy kind and are multifunctional. The zippers are large and the zipper handles jingle with so much noise that they announce your arrival even before you come into view. One day I'm going to inherit them, and when that day comes I will be sure to pledge to keep and maintain them in such a manner that they can be passed on to my son.


This black leather duffel bag by venerable leather goods manufacturer Busby belongs to my mother. I surmise that according to tradition that something a mother is keeping for posterity is supposed to be passed on to her daughter. I intimated to my mother the first time I saw this duffel bag that she needs to pass it on to me one day. It would make a complementary addition to my everyday routine.


The latter part of the tag line for this blog is 'generation to generation', and this is none truer than the case of this chess board. I received it as a birthday present from my parents in 1988 when I was in standard 2. I was 10 years old and I had just started playing chess and I loved it a great deal. Whenver extra-mural period came, the teacher would hand everyone in the class a chess board made of cardboard and plastic pieces. This was usually my time to shine as I would always pull out my fold out chess board made with wood. And when unfolded the pieces would be exposed on the inside, held down by an elastic band. Today the board is still in a good condition but all the pieces have been misplaced. So, by the time my son gets to standard two, he will receive this chess board with new pieces. This exercise, I hope, will be the beginning of many occasions where my son receives something of value that he must pass on to his children one day. Blessed is the hand that giveth; I can't expect to inherit these bags from my parents without my pledging to do the same for my children.

PG: Man to man, generation to generation.


No comments: