Saturday, June 29, 2013

Style: NBA Draft 2013; Rookies Bringing The Sartorial Heat

Anthony Bennett - Cleveland Cavaliers

I have fallen, somewhat, out of the loop when it omes to basketball. Sure, I know the Miami Heat won this year's NBA championship, even though I was rooting for the San Antonio Spurs; but I just don't get around to watching, reading and discouraing on the game as much as I used to, or as I 'd like to. I mean, I take pride in the fact that I can remember a few interesting facts about the very first episode of NBA Action I saw way back in 1993. Over the years, however, my interest has waned, just a smidgen. I guess this is me saying that I miss the 90s version of NBA basketball too. One thing that also sticks out about the NBA of the 90s was the draft day fashion. Man, those 4/ 5 button suits were the business. Over the years the style has evolved so much so that today NBA players have stylists. This year's young crop were really stylish. What I liked the most was their attention to detail and other affections that seem to be pervading the menswear realm. Here are a few:

Pattern mixing


Structured shoulder, nipped waist and just enough cuff showing.


Light grey socks with pink polka dots, walnut semi-brogues and pink laces.

Michael Carter-Williams - Philadelphia 76ers

Everything is just in proportion here: the slim lapel, small windsor knot and the shirt collar. There's details, then there's the finer details: Mini-gingham check pocket square with monogram.


Absolutely nothing matchy-matchy here; Burgundy brogue wingtips, colourful striped socks with hints of cream, burgundy, blue. More adherence to proportion; slim trousers.

CJ McCollum - Portland Trail Blazers

Attention to proportion once again; slim lapel, slim tie and semi-spread collar shirt. Nice play on the green-on-green tie and shirt. Safety pin like tie bar.

Almond brogue wingtips once again and striped socks with touches of green.

Ben McLemore - Sacramento Kings

Midnight-blue suit with peak lapels and black piping, white shirt with black thread on the buttons; white pocket square.

Black bluchers and navy blue patterned socks.

How's this for some personalised suit jacket lining? I don't think I have ever thought of this. Very creative.

After being drafted with his team cap

This is just a microcosm of the whole class, and I must say it's very refreshing. A lot of glimpses of personal style and creativity which should be appreciated. Here is a candid look back at some draft day 'disasters'.

No comments: