Monday, July 28, 2014

Style: The Navy Blue Suit


It's been a while since I last posted and the lack of posts can be attributed to a focus on quality rather than quantity. I really feel that I should be posting quality pieces that should inform, engage and get people talking. Trying to go for five posts a week is not logical; put that aside, I am finding it a little difficult to find the time to blog. Rest assured though that my absence is also spent thinking about posts and subjects that would be of interest to me and would appeal to you. Let me also thank you for always checking in and taking the time to read my posts, I appreciate it. I hold firmly to the belief that I have my own contribution to make to menswear and I won't give up on this journey.


I recently obtained this navy blue suit with a micro window-pane check; the suit is by Trenery and for an off-the-rack suit I should say that it holds quite well to the quality test. I'm really digging it. The jacket has a high armhole with a deep V and two button closure. I enjoy the fact with a deep V it allows for the necktie to be on full display and the buttoning itself is comfortable and not restrictive. The close-ups of the suit clearly evince the pattern. It is made of 100% wool and what I like most is the fact that the trousers are unlined. This is a very light wool but I find that it holds quite well in a sub-tropical winter. Once I started thinking about the accessories to wear with the suit I started with a white shirt. I have this theory about navy and grey suits and pairing them with a white shirt; a white shirt will look better with black shoes and a blue shirt with any variation of brown. In this case the white shirt I wore is one of my favourites, a double cuff item I've had for over five years. It's still looking good and is in pristine condition. Once I had the shirt figured out, I opted for a Pierre Cardin tie with a blue, grey and navy check. You might think that the tie and cufflinks are from the same family but tis not so. I bought this tie last year and the cufflinks I've had since 2010. They're from a tie, pocket square, tie bar box set. The colours just happen to complement and don't match each other.


I like a taut fit around my waist and since this trouser is a 34 inch waist, I had no alterations done on it. Since I was swimming in a sea of blue accessories I topped things off with these royal blue suspenders; very comfortable and the right fit. A proper fit around the waist obviously obviates a belt and this is what I always aim for. A navy blue suit is one of the most versatile suits a gentleman can have in his wardrobe. It is an essential wardrobe staple as it presents you with numerous combinations and myriad looks. This, in my opinion, is one of the first suits any gentleman should purchase.


PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: