Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Style: The Navy Suit Broken Up


Ever since I received this navy blue suit with a micro windowpane check I have tried to wear it in many different ways. This is one thing I've learned about a suit and versatility; you've got to be able to break it up and wear the two or three pieces as separates. So, the first look I tried with the navy suit was to wear the jacket with a pair of neutral chinos and a light blue gingham shirt.


The one thing that works instantly with this pairing are the fabric of the jacket and the chinos. The jacket is 100% wool, which is very light and makes it a very suitable candidate as a four season suit in Durban. The chinos are cotton and therefore in terms of texture there is congruence. The slight aberration, unnoticeable for that matter, is in the fact that the jacket styling is very formal and therefore it makes it difficult to wear the jacket as a casual piece. The discerning eye will definitely spot this inconsistency. For me it's not make or break because everything else flows especially in terms of fit and proportion. If the jacket had patch pockets and other features like elbow patches then it could definitely be worn as a casual separate all the time, even with jeans. Right now, I suppose I'm hoping to roll incognito before the purists call me out.


It's a casual ensemble therefore everything else had to be in line with the theme; brown tassel loafers and a brown D-ring belt.


What's good for the jacket is sure enough good for the trousers; this is another casual ensemble. This time I decided to wear the trousers separate and complemented them with a host of casual pieces and accessories.


I decided to go with a mini windowpane button down check shirt, a CAT Apparel denim jacket and brown woven belt.


Apart from the versatility of a suit especially a navy one, to go the extra mile in terms of styling and combinations, make sure the fit and proportion are on point. If you can do that then you can pretty much get away with anything, even the suit as a whole without anything under the jacket like Eddie Murphy in Boomerang.


Once again, besides the formal design of the trousers, I think the ensemble is fairly congruent because everything fits and in proportion. 


One last combination I tried was a a brown waistcoat with a subtle plaid pattern, a burgundy/ claret quilted jacket, and a light blue double cuff shirt and the navy trousers. This combination is almost all formal except for the quilted jacket which I wore as outerwear. 


I think I also erred in not wearing a tie because it looks like I took it off after work or something like that. A necktie would've added an air of seriousness coupled with creativity and playfulness. A necktie would've been the one piece to add gravitas to the ensemble and draw attention to the right points as well.


Ultimately, this suit or any well proportioned suit can be worn in myriad ways. I'm not done with this one because summer's still coming and as I alluded earlier, it is quite a lightweight suit. I'm sure I could even go for a white or grey T-shirt and some canvas sneakers. The combinations are endless.



PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

No comments: