Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Style: A Lighter Shade Of Blue


Any shade of blue is probably considered the most complementary colour because of its versatility. Think of a blue shirt and just how well it works with almost any combination of colours and how it's able to hold its own but contributing to the outfit's harmonious aesthetic. I find that blue attire is very easy to incorporate into my wardrobe because it is easy to work with and blends in easily with other clothes and colours. What I find quite concerning is the fact that I find it difficult to incorporate light blue accessories. The knit tie and socks above are what I'm talking about. I've had these items for more than a year now but I haven't worn them because I've found them difficult to coordinate with my combinations. This then begs the question, why did I buy them? Well, it was a case of my eye being captivated and I also thought that it was a colour I don't have, so why not experiment.

I find that with a dark shirt the contrast will be stark and striking and with a light shirt it'll be bland or bright. So the right balance in colour between shirt and tie is key. So I am still pretty much thinking and trying the tie with different colour shirts, but a white shirt seems to work every time whether it's with a grey or navy suit. This colour also forces me to think creatively as to what other colours complement this shade.

The socks will be of better use in summer because they are under the calf and made of cotton. The key is to wear them in such a way that they don't stick out like white socks. This will require careful consideration especially where the rule regarding socks being a shade darker than the trousers comes into play. These are definitely not to be worn with a business suit but should rather form part of a casual ensemble or a casual suit. I'm sure you'll agree that in this case the other rule of matching your socks with your trousers would be inapt because this kind of blue on blue wouldn't be flattering. For now though, they continue to ride the pine in hopes of getting playing time soon.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.



PG: Man to man, generation to generation.