Monday, August 31, 2015

Style: My Favourite Winter Shirt Pattern


Rather fitting that this post comes on the last day of winter, even though it's not officially over. The weather however has been incredibly warm. Joburg has been hot and Durban is back to its humid self. I thought I'd touch on a shirt that's been a favourite of mine for many years, way before I became conscious of menswear and style. When winter comes around this has become my go-to shirt because of its colour scheme, pattern and versatility. Winter in Durban isn't that cold so the fabric isn't a big issue just as long as it's warm enough but not sweat inducing like a polyester blend.


This shirt is white with a check of brown and navy blue. It's one of my favourite. I first had a shirt of this nature back in 2003 and after misplacing that one it became something I missed in my wardrobe. After starting this blog in 2009, I came across this one by Ralph Lauren and the only difference it had with the original one I had was that it was button-down. Needless to say that I purchased it without much thought because it had long been a wardrobe staple. Whereas the original one was a spread collar, this one was button-down and this appealed to me because it presented me with many other ways of wearing it.


Brown is an incredibly versatile colour especially because it works with so many other colours that are suitable for autumn and winter. Grey, navy, green, brown; it's just that malleable. I consider it a statement colour with so many valuable properties because of its complementary qualities. It's a casual shirt therefore pairing it with jeans and this brown leather jacket was the obvious choice.


This shirt is slightly more dressy with a sturdy collar that allows me to wear it without a tie. It also has the same colour scheme although the only difference is the pattern. The RL shirt has a mini window-pane check and this one is gingham. It is a spread collar and what I like about it is that the colours make it a bold, standout piece. I also like the fact that it can be paired with a blue, navy, brown, green or grey necktie. That's just how versatile it is.




PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christian Louboutin Sneakers is a charming shoes that can catch up with fashional trendy with stylish design. You can buy it for wearing several years without being out of date.
Christian Louboutin Green Black Rhinestone High Sneakers
Christian Louboutin Purple Rhinestone High Sneakers
Christian Louboutin White Leather Silver Rhinestone High Sneakers
Christian Louboutin Red Sheepskin Red Spike Low Sneakers