Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Style: The Grey Suit In Different Ways


This might be a little out of season for the spring season but it is wholly appropriate for the autumn and the impending winter in the northern hemisphere. The medium grey wool suit is incredibly versatile and what I like most about it is that it can be worn 9 out of 12 months in a year. At least that's how I wear this one because it is a little too heavy for sub-tropical weather.


The first two images show just how appropriate this suit is for business. With a white shirt and black shoes, the suit becomes instantly versatile because it can be worn with a variety of shirt and shoe colours. Just as long as everything is kept within the bounds of business dress code. I almost don't like wearing this shade of grey with tan shoes as the contrast is too sharp, so the darker the shoe the better it'll complement the suit.


This is my go-to business casual combination and I wear it almost all the time at work. The navy jacket belongs to another suit and this just shows how well these two pieces complement each other.  Of course the burgundy oxford keeps the look somewhat serious but the open neck shirt keeps the casual vibe. If you're also looking into experimenting with mixing and matching jackets and trousers then the age old navy jacket and grey trousers is your starting point. The combinations are innumerable.


I like to call this the after-work look simply because a polo-neck with a suit is not a favourite of mine for work or office settings, maybe casual Friday. This is also one of my favourite winter looks because it presents so many colour options where the polo-neck and shoes are concerned. Once again this is a combination of grey and navy but even a burgundy, black, light grey, beige, light blue or light brown polo-neck would complement the suit.


This past winter wasn't so cold for me and since this is a light wool suit I found that throwing on a top coat was enough to protect and insulate against the cold. It is also one of mine best fitting suits since it is a 42 regular. The jacket is slightly longer than my 40 regular but it's not baggy or ill-fitting at all. It has also gone through some alterations and I am quite happy with how both the jacket and trousers turned out after. It will also be one of my go-to autumn/ winter suits because I know it's going to give me some good mileage.





PG: Man to man, generation to generation.

2 comments:

Martin said...

The turtle neck profile is my favorite look for this suite - great job as always.

1Mo_George said...

Skinny leg / narrow bottom pant thing just don't work for all men